Want to learn how to find more affordable car insurance rates in Pittsburg, KS? Vehicle owners not familiar with buying car insurance online will discover purchasing cheaper Pittsburg car insurance is more work than they thought.
A recent NerdWallet.com study revealed that over 70% of drivers have stayed with the same insurance company for a minimum of four years, and 38% of customers have never compared rate quotes at all. Many consumers in Pittsburg could cut their rates by about $809 a year just by getting comparison quotes, but they don't want to spend time to save money by comparing rate quotes.
If you have car insurance now, you stand a good chance to be able to get lower rates using these methods. This article's goal is to familiarize you with the best ways to compare prices and some tips to save money. Nevertheless, Kansas car owners do need to know how companies determine what you pay because it can help you find the best coverage.
How to get affordable auto insurance in Pittsburg, KS
Keep in mind that comparing more quotes will increase your chances of finding a lower rate. Not every company allows you to get online quotes, so you need to compare prices from the smaller companies as well.
The companies in the list below can provide comparison quotes in Pittsburg, KS. If several companies are displayed, we recommend you click on several of them to find the most affordable auto insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Impala LS||$726||$363||$61|
|Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid||$900||$450||$75|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Extended Cab 4WD||$742||$371||$62|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab ST 4WD||$836||$418||$70|
|Ford Escape XLS 4WD||$724||$362||$60|
|Ford F-150 Lariat Super Cab 2WD||$892||$446||$74|
|Ford Focus SES 2-Dr Coupe||$846||$423||$71|
|Honda Accord EX 4-Dr Sedan||$858||$429||$72|
|Honda CR-V EX 2WD||$728||$364||$61|
|Honda Civic LX 2-Dr Coupe||$980||$490||$82|
|Hyundai Elantra SE Touring Station Wagon||$930||$465||$78|
|Kia Optima LX||$968||$484||$81|
|Mazda 3 S Sport 4-Dr Sedan||$1,342||$671||$112|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4-Dr Sedan||$712||$356||$59|
|Toyota Camry SE||$1,016||$508||$85|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$918||$459||$77|
|Toyota Tacoma 4WD||$898||$449||$75|
|Volkswagen Jetta SEL 4-Dr Sedan||$1,186||$593||$99|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on married male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Kansas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, homeowner, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and safe-driver. Price information does not factor in specific location which can affect rates greatly.
Rate comparison of full coverage and liability-only
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Ford Fusion insurance rates with and without physical damage coverage, medical payments, and uninsured/under-insured motorist coverage. The price estimates are based on no violations or claims, $250 deductibles, single female driver, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Ford Fusion rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Are you wasting money on full coverage?
There is no exact rule of when to exclude physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a broad guideline. If the annual cost of coverage is more than around 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
For example, let's assume your Ford Fusion settlement value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 policy deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most you would get paid by your company is $3,000 after the deductible is paid. If you are currently paying more than $300 annually for physical damage coverage, then it may be the right time to buy liability only.
There are a few cases where dropping full coverage is not in your best interest. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you have to maintain full coverage as part of the loan conditions. Also, if you don't have enough money to buy a different vehicle in case of an accident, you should not opt for liability only.
Policy deductible comparison
The hardest decision when buying coverage is how high should the physical damage coverage deductibles be. The rates shown below can help you visualize the rate fluctuation when you choose different physical damage deductibles. The first rate quote example uses a $100 physical damage deductible and the second pricing table uses a $1,000 deductible.
Ford Escape rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Escape XLS 2WD||$214||$366||$244||$14||$72||$935||$78|
|Escape XLS 4WD||$214||$366||$244||$14||$72||$935||$78|
|Escape XLT 2WD||$214||$366||$244||$14||$72||$935||$78|
|Escape Limited 2WD||$246||$366||$244||$14||$72||$967||$81|
|Escape XLT 4WD||$246||$366||$244||$14||$72||$967||$81|
|Escape Limited 4WD||$246||$446||$244||$14||$72||$1,047||$87|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Escape XLS 2WD||$120||$192||$244||$14||$72||$642||$54|
|Escape XLS 4WD||$120||$192||$244||$14||$72||$642||$54|
|Escape XLT 2WD||$120||$192||$244||$14||$72||$642||$54|
|Escape Limited 2WD||$136||$192||$244||$14||$72||$658||$55|
|Escape XLT 4WD||$136||$192||$244||$14||$72||$658||$55|
|Escape Limited 4WD||$136||$234||$244||$14||$72||$700||$58|
|Get a Quote for Your Vehicle Go|
Prices above based on married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, and Kansas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, claim-free, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, and multi-policy. Information does not factor in vehicle location which can alter coverage prices significantly.
Based on the above data, using a $100 deductible will cost you roughly $26 more each month or $312 annually than quoting the higher $1,000 deductible. Because you would be required to pay $900 more if you file a claim with a $1,000 deductible as compared to a $100 deductible, if you go at least 35 months between claims, you would save more money going with the higher deductible.
Auto insurance rates are higher with tickets and accidents
The diagram below shows how traffic citations and at-fault fender-benders influence Kia Optima car insurance rates for each age group. The prices are based on a single female driver, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
Kia Optima rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Why you need insurance for your vehicle
Despite the high cost of buying insurance in Pittsburg, maintaining insurance may not be optional for several reasons.
- Almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to buy a specific level of liability insurance coverage in order to drive the car legally. In Kansas these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, almost every bank will stipulate that you carry insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you let the policy lapse, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your vehicle at a much higher premium rate and force you to pay for the much more expensive policy.
- Insurance preserves not only your vehicle but also your assets. Insurance will also pay for most medical and hospital costs for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also covers legal expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If your vehicle gets damaged, comprehensive and/or collision insurance will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of buying insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, especially with large liability claims. On average, a vehicle owner in Pittsburg is wasting up to $865 each year so compare quotes from several companies at every renewal to save money.
What determines your policy premium?
Lots of things are considered when quoting car insurance. Some are pretty understandable such as traffic violations, although others are less apparent such as whether you are married or how safe your car is. An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the things that come into play when calculating your premiums. When consumers understand what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this enables you to make decisions that may reward you with much lower annual insurance costs.
- Prices are affected by your address - Being located in small towns and rural areas can be a good thing when insuring your vehicles. People in densely populated areas have to deal with traffic congestion and a longer drive to work. Less people living in that area translates into fewer accident claims in addition to lower liability claims
- Companies want multiple policies - The majority of companies provide a discount to clients that have more than one policy, otherwise known as a multi-policy discount. Discounts can add up to as much as ten percent or more If you currently are using one company, you may still want to shop around to help ensure you have the lowest rates.There is a chance you can save even more even if you insure with multiple companies
- Car insurance liability limits - A critical coverage on your policy, liability insurance kicks in if you are found to be at fault for damages caused by your negligence. Your liability coverage provides you with a defense in court which can cost thousands of dollars. Liability insurance is pretty cheap compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
- Save money by having high credit - Having a good credit score is a big factor in determining what you pay for car insurance. If your credit score leaves room for improvement, you could be paying less to insure your vehicle by taking the time to improve your credit score. Insureds that have very good credit scores tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims than drivers who have poor credit scores.
Auto insurance policy discounts you can't miss
Auto insurance is not inexpensive, but companies offer discounts that could help you make your next renewal payment. Some of these discounts will be visible at the time you complete a quote, but lesser-known reductions have to be requested specifically before being credited. If you're not getting every credit possible, you may be paying too high a price.
- Organization Discounts - Affiliation with a qualifying organization could qualify you for a break on your policy.
- Fewer Miles Equal More Savings - Fewer annual miles may allow you to get slightly better auto insurance rates than normal.
- Anti-lock Brake System - Cars with anti-lock braking systems are much safer to drive so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Claim-Free Discount - Insureds with no claims or accidents are rewarded with significantly better rates on Pittsburg car insurance quote in comparison with insureds who have frequent claims or accidents.
- Military Discounts - Having an actively deployed family member could qualify you for better rates.
- Seat Belt Usage - Requiring all passengers to use their safety belts could save 15% on medical payment and PIP coverage.
You should keep in mind that most of the big mark downs will not be given to your bottom line cost. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. So even though they make it sound like you could get a free auto insurance policy, insurance companies wouldn't stay in business.
Large auto insurance companies and the discounts they provide include:
- State Farm discounts include defensive driving training, passive restraint, good driver, accident-free, safe vehicle, Drive Safe & Save, and driver's education.
- Farmers Insurance has discounts for teen driver, electronic funds transfer, distant student, youthful driver, and alternative fuel.
- Progressive offers discounts including online quote discount, multi-policy, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, homeowner, and good student.
- GEICO may have discounts that include federal employee, five-year accident-free, military active duty, seat belt use, anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, and air bags.
- Auto-Owners Insurance may include discounts for good student, teen driver, student away at school, paid in full, company car, group or association, and air bags.
- The Hartford may offer discounts for air bag, bundle, driver training, good student, anti-theft, vehicle fuel type, and defensive driver.
- Farm Bureau offers discounts for good student, youthful driver, multi-policy, renewal discount, safe driver, and 55 and retired.
- USAA includes discounts for multi-vehicle, new vehicle, multi-policy, annual mileage, and safe driver.
When comparing rates, check with all companies you are considering to apply every possible discount. Discounts may not be offered in your state. To find auto insurance companies that offer many of these discounts in Kansas, click here.
It's not one size fits all
When it comes to choosing the best auto insurance coverage, there really is no "perfect" insurance plan. Every insured's situation is different and your auto insurance should be unique as well. For example, these questions could help you determine whether you would benefit from an agent's advice.
- Do I need special coverage while pulling a rented trailer?
- Do I need replacement cost coverage?
- Can I pay claims out-of-pocket if I buy high deductibles?
- Am I missing any policy discounts?
- Does liability extend to a camper or trailer?
- What is motorclub and do I need it?
- Will I lose any money if I cancel my policy before it expires?
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my vehicle is totaled?
- Should I get collision insurance on every vehicle?
If you're not sure about those questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. If you don't have a local agent, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Getting quotes from local Pittsburg car insurance agents
Many people would rather buy from a local agent and that is OK! One of the best bonuses of comparing insurance prices online is you can get cheap rate quotes and still choose a local agent.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, your coverage information is sent to companies in Pittsburg who will return price quotes for your insurance coverage. You won't need to contact an agency because prices are sent to your email. You can get cheaper car insurance rates and a licensed agent to work with. If you need to compare prices from a specific company, just visit that company's website and fill out their quote form.
Selecting a insurance company is decision based upon more than just the quoted price. Any agent in Pittsburg should be forthright in answering these questions:
- By raising physical damage deductibles, how much would you save?
- Do they have any clout with companies to ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- Does the agency provide any after hours assistance?
- Can you contact them at any time?
When narrowing the list to find a local Pittsburg insurance agent, you should know the types of agencies and how they can write your policy. Car insurance agencies can be categorized as either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
These agents work for only one company like Allstate, Farmers Insurance or State Farm. They usually cannot give you multiple price quotes so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive agents are trained well on sales techniques and that allows them to sell at a higher price point. Some insured continue to purchase coverage from exclusives partially due to the prominence of the brand rather than having low rates.
Agents that elect to be independent are not required to write business for one company and that allows them to write policies through many different car insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If your agent finds better pricing, your agent can just switch to a different company and you can keep the same agent.
When comparing rate quotes, we recommend you get rate quotes from a couple of independent agencies so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare. Most independent agents also contract with less well-known companies which may have better rates.
After you get good answers and the cheapest Pittsburg car insurance quotes, chances are good that you have found an insurance agent that meets your needs to properly service your car insurance policy.
Affordable car insurance is out there
Cheap car insurance in Pittsburg is available online as well as from insurance agents, so you should compare both to have the best chance of lowering rates. A few companies may not offer price quotes online and usually these small insurance companies prefer to sell through independent insurance agents.
We just showed you some good ideas how to lower your car insurance auto insurance rates in Pittsburg. The key thing to remember is the more providers you compare, the better chance you'll have of finding affordable Pittsburg car insurance quotes. Consumers may even find the lowest auto insurance rates are with a smaller regional carrier. Regional companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost compared to the large companies like State Farm and Allstate.
When searching for cheap Pittsburg car insurance quotes, it's not a good idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. Too many times, an accident victim reduced liability coverage limits to discover at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your goal should be to buy enough coverage at an affordable rate, but don't skip important coverages to save money.
- Determining Your Vehicle's Value and Repair Cost (Insurance Information Institute)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Hybrid Vehicles in Kansas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Teenage Males in Kansas? (FAQ)
- Which Company has the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Wichita, Kansas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Kansas Car Insurance Quotes for a Chevrolet Equinox? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Kansas Car Insurance for a Ford Fusion? (FAQ)
- Teen Driver Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Vehicle Safety Ratings (iihs.org)