Feeling guilty for buying an expensive auto insurance policy? It's quite common and there are many Hays consumers feeling the pinch from expensive auto insurance.
A recent auto insurance study discovered that most consumers have been with the same company for more than four years, and nearly half have never compared rates from other carriers. Hays drivers can save up to 55% each year, but most undervalue how much they could save if they switched to a more affordable policy. There are many car insurance companies to pick from, and though it is a good thing to have a choice, so many choices can make it hard to find the best rates.
We hope to let you in on the most effective way to quote insurance and some tricks to saving. If you have insurance now, you will definitely be able to lower your rates using the tips covered below. Drivers just need to understand the fastest way to compare different rates from multiple carriers.
Companies offering affordable rates in Hays, KS
The companies in the list below can provide price quotes in Kansas. If the list has multiple companies, it's highly recommended you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Malibu LT||$758||$379||$63|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Extended Cab 2WD||$968||$484||$81|
|Dodge Ram Crew Cab Sport 4WD||$888||$444||$74|
|Ford Edge SEL AWD||$664||$332||$55|
|Ford Escape XLS 2WD||$674||$337||$56|
|Ford F-150 STX Regular Cab 2WD||$782||$391||$65|
|Ford Focus SES 4-Dr Sedan||$784||$392||$65|
|GMC Sierra SLE Regular Cab 2WD||$760||$380||$63|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$734||$367||$61|
|Honda CR-V EX 2WD||$958||$479||$80|
|Honda Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$882||$441||$74|
|Hyundai Elantra SE Touring Station Wagon||$1,044||$522||$87|
|Nissan Altima 3.5 SR 2-Dr Coupe||$910||$455||$76|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,014||$507||$85|
|Toyota Corolla XRS||$1,036||$518||$86|
|Toyota RAV4 Limited 4WD||$856||$428||$71|
|Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4WD||$754||$377||$63|
|Volkswagen Jetta S 2.5 Station Wagon||$822||$411||$69|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data represents married male driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Kansas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-policy, homeowner, claim-free, and multi-vehicle. Price information does not factor in vehicle location which can alter premium rates substantially.
Higher deductibles save money
The example below highlights how deductible choice and can impact Ford Escape insurance premiums for each age group. The information is based on a single male driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are applied.
Ford Escape rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Discounts mean cheaper rates
Insurance is easily one of your largest bills, but you might already qualify for some discounts that you may not know about. Certain reductions will be credited when you purchase, but some discounts are required to be asked for before you get the savings.
- One Accident Forgiven - This isn't a discount exactly, but companies like Allstate, State Farm and GEICO allow you one accident before they charge you more for coverage if your claims history is clear before the accident.
- Online Discount - A few insurance companies will give a small break simply for signing on their website.
- No Claims - Drivers who don't have accidents are rewarded with significantly better rates on Hays car insurance quote when compared with frequent claim filers.
- Telematics Discount - Drivers who elect to allow driving data submission to monitor where and when they drive by using a telematics device such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate's Drivewise system could possibly reduce rates as long as the data is positive.
- Save over 55 - Mature drivers can possibly qualify for a small discount on rates.
- Theft Prevention System - Cars, trucks, and SUVs optioned with advanced anti-theft systems are less likely to be stolen and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Payment Discounts - If paying your policy premium upfront as opposed to paying monthly you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Safety Course Discount - Taking part in a course in driver safety could possibly earn you a 5% discount and easily pay for the cost of the class.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints - Factory air bags can get savings of 25 to 30%.
- Discounts for Government Workers - Active or former government employment may reduce rates when you quote Hays car insurance depending on your insurance provider.
You can save money using discounts, but some of the credits will not apply to the entire cost. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as liability and collision coverage. Even though the math looks like all the discounts add up to a free policy, you're out of luck.
To see a list of insurance companies who offer discounts in Hays, click this link.
Make smart decisions and save money
Multiple criteria are considered when you quote your car insurance policy. Most are fairly basic such as your driving record, but other criteria are less apparent such as your credit history or your vehicle rating.
The itemized list below are a few of the "ingredients" that factor into your rate level.
- Safer the car lower the rate - Vehicles that have high safety ratings tend to have lower insurance rates. Safe vehicles help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and fewer serious injuries means your insurance company pays less and more competitive rates for policyholders.
- Why do you need liability? - The liability section of your policy will afford coverage in the event that a jury decides you are liable for damages caused by your negligence. It provides legal defense coverage starting from day one. This coverage is relatively inexpensive compared to comp and collision, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
- Minor frequent insurance claims are not good - Insurance companies in Kansas generally give better rates to people who do not rely on their insurance for small claims. If you file claims often, you can pretty much guarantee higher rates. Auto insurance is intended for larger claims.
- The type of vehicle you drive affects your prices - The performance of the car you are trying to find cheaper insurance for makes a substantial difference in your car insurance bill. The cheapest insurance rates tend to be for small economy passenger cars, but the cost you end up paying is determined by many additional factors.
When to contact an insurance agency
Many drivers still like to buy from a licensed agent and often times that is recommended Agents can make sure you are properly covered and help submit paperwork. An additional benefit of comparing insurance prices online is that you can find lower rates but also keep your business local. Buying from small agencies is especially important in Hays.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this simple form, your insurance data is emailed to insurance agents in Hays who want to provide quotes for your business. You don't have to leave your computer since rate quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. If you wish to compare rates from a specific company, feel free to find their quoting web page and complete a quote there.
Independent or Exclusive: It's your choice
If you want a reputable agency, there are two types of insurance agents and how they can write your policy. Hays agents are considered either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive). Either one can sell and service insurance coverage, but we need to point out the difference between them since it can affect buying decisions.
These type of agents often have affiliation with several companies so they can write business through many companies and get you the best rates possible. If your premiums go up, an independent agent can move your coverage and the insured can keep the same agent.
When searching for an agent, you should always include independent agents to get the most accurate price comparison.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents that choose to be exclusive can usually just insure with one company such as Allstate and State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot shop your coverage around so keep that in mind. Exclusive insurance agents are usually quite knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which can be an advantage.
Picking a insurance agency requires more thought than just the price. Get answers to these questions too.
- Is there a local claims center in Hays?
- Are they full-time agents?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- Does the company have a solid financial rating?
- How many companies do they write for?
Save 15 percent in 15 minutes? Is it for real?
Kansas consumers get pounded daily by advertisements for the lowest price insurance from companies such as Progressive, GEICO, Allstate and State Farm. They all seem to make an identical promise that you can save just by switching your insurance policy to them.
How does every company charge you less for car insurance? Just pay attention to how they say it.
All companies have strict underwriting profiles for the type of driver that earns them the most money. For example, a desirable insured might be described as over the age of 35, has no prior claims, and drives less than 7,500 miles a year. Any driver who fits those characteristics will probably get the lowest rates and will also cut their insurance rates if they switch.
Insureds who may not quite match the requirements will probably be forced to pay higher premium rates which results in the prospect going elsewhere. The wording the ads use say "people who switch" not "all people who quote" can get the lowest rates when switching. That is how insurance companies can lure you into getting a quote.
Because of these techniques, you really should get Hays car insurance quotes from several different companies. It's just not possible to know which company will have the lowest rate quotes.
Don't give up on cheap premiums
When shopping online for car insurance, it's very important that you do not skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. There have been many cases where an insured dropped liability limits or collision coverage and learned later that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your aim should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the lowest possible cost, not the least amount of coverage.
Cost effective car insurance is available on the web in addition to many Hays insurance agents, so you need to quote Hays car insurance with both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some companies don't offer online price quotes and most of the time these smaller providers sell through independent agents.
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of ways to reduce car insurance premium rates online in Hays. It's most important to understand that the more times you quote, the better your comparison will be. You may even discover the most savings is with a company that doesn't do a lot of advertising. Some small companies may often insure only within specific states and give getter rates than their larger competitors like State Farm or Progressive.
- Car Insurance: When not to Skimp (BankRate.com)
- Who Has Cheap Kansas Auto Insurance Rates for High Mileage Drivers? (FAQ)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers with a DUI in Kansas? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for College Graduates in Kansas? (FAQ)
- Property Damage Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- How to Avoid Buying a Flooded Car (Insurance Information Institute)
- Teen Driving Statistics (GEICO)
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)