No one is fond of buying insurance, especially when they are aware that they could find lower prices if they just compared rates.
It's astonishing, but a large majority of insurance policyholders kept their coverage with the same insurance company for over three years, and practically 40% of insurance customers have never compared rate quotes at all. Consumers in Kansas could pocket as much as $809 a year by just shopping around, but they just don't understand how much savings they would realize if they changed companies.
Due to the increasing number of companies and agents to choose from, it can be diffult for drivers to locate the lowest price insurer.
Shopping for the most affordable car insurance coverage in Overland Park is simple if you know the tricks. Just about every car owner who is looking for cheaper car insurance will more than likely be able to lower their premiums. Nevertheless, Kansas vehicle owners benefit from understanding how the larger insurance companies set your policy premium and apply this information to your search.
Car insurance discounts are available for cheaper rates
Car insurance is neither fun to buy or cheap, but you might be missing out on some discounts that could drop your premiums quite a bit. A few discounts will be applied when you purchase, but some may not be applied and must be asked for prior to receiving the credit.
- Discounts for New Vehicles - Adding a new car to your policy can get you a discount since new model year vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Multi-car Discount - Drivers who insure primary and secondary vehicles on a single policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Multiple Policy Discount - If you have multiple policies with one company you may earn 10% to 20% off each policy.
- Senior Citizen Rates - If you're over the age of 55, you may qualify for a small decrease in premiums.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers - Safe drivers may receive a discount up to 45% than less cautious drivers.
- Theft Prevention System - Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles are stolen less frequently and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Early Payment Discounts - By making one initial payment rather than paying monthly you can avoid the installment charge.
- Home Ownership Discount - Simply owning a home may trigger a policy discount on car insurance since owning and maintaining a home shows financial diligence.
- Clubs and Organizations - Joining qualifying employment or professional organizations is a good way to get lower rates on your bill.
- Switch and Save Discount - A few larger companies give discounts for renewing your policy prior to your current Elantra insurance policy expiration. The savings is around 10%.
One last thing about discounts, most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as collision or personal injury protection. Just because it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, company stockholders wouldn't be very happy.
Popular car insurance companies and a selection of discounts include:
- State Farm may offer discounts for student away at school, defensive driving training, safe vehicle, anti-theft, Drive Safe & Save, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and accident-free.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including good student, air bags, seat belt use, defensive driver, membership and employees, five-year accident-free, and emergency military deployment.
- Allstate may include discounts for defensive driver, anti-theft, multi-policy, early signing, and new car.
- SAFECO discounts include safe driver, drive less, homeowner, accident prevention training, anti-lock brakes, teen safe driver, and anti-theft.
- Farm Bureau has discounts for multi-policy, 55 and retired, renewal discount, youthful driver, and good student.
- Progressive offers discounts for multi-vehicle, multi-policy, homeowner, online quote discount, good student, and continuous coverage.
- AAA includes discounts for pay-in-full, AAA membership discount, good student, anti-theft, multi-policy, education and occupation, and good driver.
It's a good idea to ask each insurance company to apply every possible discount. Savings may not apply to policyholders everywhere.
The method we recommend to get rate comparisons for Hyundai Elantra insurance in Overland Park is to realize car insurance companies provide online access to compare their rates. The one thing you need to do is provide a small amount of information like an estimate of your credit level, if you went to college, if the car is leased, and any included safety features. Your insurance information gets transmitted to all major companies and they provide comparison quotes very quickly.
To compare multiple company cheaper Hyundai Elantra insurance rates now, click here and enter your zip code.
The companies shown below offer price comparisons in Kansas. If multiple companies are listed, it's highly recommended you visit two to three different companies to get the most competitive price.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Elantra GLS Touring Station Wagon||$134||$254||$276||$16||$82||$762||$64|
|Elantra Blue 4-Dr Sedan||$192||$440||$286||$16||$86||$1,020||$85|
|Elantra GLS 4-Dr Sedan||$172||$400||$372||$22||$112||$1,078||$90|
|Elantra SE 4-Dr Sedan||$118||$270||$324||$20||$96||$828||$69|
|Elantra SE Touring Station Wagon||$106||$194||$228||$14||$68||$610||$51|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Table data assumes married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1,000 deductibles, and Kansas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, multi-vehicle, safe-driver, claim-free, and multi-policy. Premium costs do not factor in specific zip code location which can impact coverage prices substantially.
The illustration below illustrates how your deductible choice and can change Hyundai Elantra yearly insurance costs for different age groups of insureds. The data assumes a married female driver, full physical damage coverage, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
Your car insurance coverage should be tailored to you
Always remember that when buying a policy for your vehicles, there really isn't a "perfect" insurance plan. Your financial needs are unique and your car insurance should unique, too. These are some specific questions can help discover if you would benefit from professional advice.
- How much liability coverage do I need in Kansas?
- When should I buy a commercial auto policy?
- Am I covered if I drive in a foreign country?
- Am I covered if I back into my garage door?
- What is UM/UIM insurance?
- Do I have ACV or replacement cost coverage?
- Do I have coverage for damage caused while driving under the influence?
- Do I get a pro-rated refund if I cancel my policy early?
- Can I still get insurance after a DUI?
If you can't answer these questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you don't have a local agent, fill out this quick form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
Buying from car insurance agents
Some consumers just want to talk to a local agent and doing that can be a smart decision A nice benefit of getting free rate quotes online is the fact that you can find the lowest rates and still have a local agent. Putting coverage with local agencies is still important in Overland Park.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this short form, the quote information is transmitted to participating agents in Overland Park who will give competitive quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You don't have to do any legwork since rate quotes are delivered immediately to your email address. Get lower rates AND a local agent. If for some reason you want to quote rates for a specific company, you just need to go to their quote page and submit a quote form there.
How to choose the best auto insurance agent in Overland Park
When narrowing the list to find a local Overland Park insurance agency, there are two types of insurance agents and how they operate. Overland Park agents are considered either independent agents or exclusive agents.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These type of agents do not write with just one company so as a result can place your coverage with an assortment of companies and get the cheapest rates. If they find a lower price, they simply move the coverage in-house which makes it simple for you.
If you are comparing rate quotes, you will want to get insurance quotes from independent agents for the best price selection.
The following are independent insurance agencies in Overland Park that may be able to give you free price quotes.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be exclusive can only provide pricing for a single company and some examples include State Farm, Allstate, or Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agencies are unable to provide other company's prices so if the price isn't competitive there isn't much they can do. Exclusive agents receive extensive training on their company's products which helps offset the inability to provide other markets.
Shown below is a list of exclusive insurance agencies in Overland Park who can help you get rate quotes.
Finding the right auto insurance agent is decision based upon more than just the price. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- What is the financial rating for the quoted company?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- Is the agency involved in supporting local community causes?
- How would your car be valued if totalled?
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
- When do they do policy reviews?
- Will one accident increase rates?
Three reasons to not skimp on car insurance
Despite the high cost, car insurance may be required and benefits you in several ways.
First, the majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means state laws require specific limits of liability coverage if you don't want to risk a ticket. In Kansas these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your vehicle has a loan, almost every bank will force you to have full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank will be required to insure your Hyundai at a significantly higher premium and require you to fork over a much higher amount than you were paying before.
Third, insurance safeguards both your assets and your Hyundai Elantra. It will also cover medical bills for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers legal expenses if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your Hyundai gets damaged, your car insurance policy will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of insuring your Elantra more than cancel out the cost, particularly for liability claims. The average driver in America overpays as much as $869 every year so shop around at least once a year to ensure rates are competitive.
Specifics of your car insurance policy
Knowing the specifics of your car insurance policy can help you determine the right coverages and the correct deductibles and limits. Car insurance terms can be ambiguous and nobody wants to actually read their policy. Below you'll find the normal coverages found on most car insurance policies.
Liability - Liability coverage provides protection from damage that occurs to a person or their property that is your fault. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. Your policy might show values of 25/50/10 which stand for $25,000 in coverage for each person's injuries, a total of $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a total limit of $10,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Some companies may use one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which combines the three limits into one amount and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability coverage protects against claims like emergency aid, legal defense fees and medical services. The amount of liability coverage you purchase is a personal decision, but it's cheap coverage so purchase higher limits if possible. Kansas requires minimum liability limits of 25/50/10 but drivers should carry more coverage.
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision - Comprehensive insurance pays for damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. A deductible will apply and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims like a broken windshield, falling objects, a tree branch falling on your vehicle and damage from flooding. The maximum amount a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle's value is low it's probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
UM/UIM Coverage - This coverage protects you and your vehicle's occupants from other drivers when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered claims include injuries sustained by your vehicle's occupants and also any damage incurred to your Hyundai Elantra.
Since a lot of drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (25/50/10 in Kansas), their limits can quickly be used up. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is a good idea. Most of the time these coverages are similar to your liability insurance amounts.
Medical costs insurance - Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance provide coverage for short-term medical expenses for things like X-ray expenses, nursing services, doctor visits and rehabilitation expenses. They are used to fill the gap from your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. They cover you and your occupants in addition to being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal Injury Protection is not an option in every state and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Collision coverage - This pays for damage to your Elantra resulting from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You first must pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision can pay for claims like crashing into a building, sustaining damage from a pot hole and scraping a guard rail. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Drivers also have the option to increase the deductible on your Elantra in order to get cheaper collision rates.
What is YOUR best insurance company?
Budget-friendly insurance in Overland Park is definitely available online and from local agencies, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best rate selection. Some insurance companies don't offer the ability to get a quote online and usually these smaller companies only sell coverage through local independent agents.
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how you can reduce Hyundai Elantra insurance rates online in Overland Park. It's most important to understand that the more companies you get car insurance rates for, the higher your chance of finding affordable Hyundai Elantra insurance quotes. You may even find the lowest rates come from a small mutual company. They may cover specific market segments cheaper as compared to the big name companies such as Progressive and GEICO.
When shopping online for insurance, do not buy less coverage just to save a little money. There have been many cases where someone dropped comprehensive coverage or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your goal should be to get the best coverage possible at the best possible price.
More information can be read at the links below
- Choosing a Car for Your Teen (State Farm)
- Which Company has the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Overland Park, Kansas? (FAQ)
- How Much are Kansas Car Insurance Rates for 16 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Prairie Village, Kansas? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a Toyota Camry in Kansas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Kansas Auto Insurance for a Dodge Grand Caravan? (FAQ)
- Which Company has the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Wichita, Kansas? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for Seniors in Kansas? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for a Nissan Rogue in Kansas? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance Basics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Collision Coverage (Liberty Mutual)