Vehicle owners who are new to the process of comparing insurance rates online could find buying the cheapest Emporia car insurance is very challenging.
A recent survey discovered that the vast majority of drivers have stayed with the same insurance company for at least four years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never compared quotes from other companies. Emporia consumers could save approximately $800 every year by just comparing rate quotes, but they just assume it takes a lot of time to shop around.
If you are already insured, you will definitely be able to find better prices using the techniques presented in this article. The goal of this article is to help you learn how auto insurance companies operate and some tips to save money. But Kansas car owners must understand how the larger insurance companies set your policy premium and use it to find better rates.
Cut Your Costs with these tips
Lots of things are taken into consideration when you get a price on insurance. Some are obvious like an MVR report, but other factors are more transparent such as your credit history or how financially stable you are.
- Cheaper rates with safer cars - Vehicles that have high safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. Vehicles built for safety result in less severe injuries and fewer injuries means your insurance company pays less and lower rates for you. If your car has ratings of a minimum an "acceptable" rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website it is probably cheaper to insure.
- Premiums are high for teenagers - Drivers with little experience have a tendency to be careless and easily distracted with other occupants in the car so insurance rates are higher. Older drivers are proven to be safer behind the wheel, tend to file fewer claims, and are generally more financially stable.
- Limits of liability insurance - Your insurance policy's liability coverage is the protection when you are determined to be liable for causing personal injury or damage in an accident. Your policy's liability insurance provides legal defense up to the limits shown on your policy. Liability insurance is pretty cheap when compared to the cost of physical damage coverage, so drivers should carry high limits.
- Higher rates for coverage lapses - Not maintaining insurance is a big no-no and insurance companies will penalize you for letting your coverage lapse. Not only will rates go up, being ticketed for driving with no insurance will get you fines or a revoked license.
- Companies want multiple policies - Lots of insurance companies provide a discount to people who buy several policies from them such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Even if you qualify for this discount already, you still need to shop around to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
Compare quotes for Emporia auto insurance
When comparison shopping, more quotes will increase your chances of finding a lower rate than you're paying now.
The companies shown below offer quotes in Emporia, KS. If several companies are displayed, we recommend you compare several of them to find the cheapest auto insurance rates.
|Make, Model, and Trim Level||Annual Policy Premium||6-month Policy Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Chevrolet Silverado LS Crew Cab 2WD||$970||$485||$81|
|Dodge Grand Caravan Crew||$1,020||$510||$85|
|Dodge Ram Quad Cab ST 4WD||$1,080||$540||$90|
|Ford Escape Limited 2WD||$1,070||$535||$89|
|Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD||$790||$395||$66|
|Ford F-150 XLT Crew Cab 2WD||$1,148||$574||$96|
|Ford Focus SE 4-Dr Sedan||$740||$370||$62|
|Honda Accord LX 4-Dr Sedan||$940||$470||$78|
|Honda CR-V LX 2WD||$762||$381||$64|
|Honda Civic DX 2-Dr Coupe||$1,316||$658||$110|
|Mazda 3 S Grand Touring 4-Dr Hatchback||$856||$428||$71|
|Nissan Altima 2.5 4-Dr Sedan||$888||$444||$74|
|Nissan Rogue SL AWD||$1,118||$559||$93|
|Toyota Camry LE||$1,134||$567||$95|
|Toyota Corolla XLE||$960||$480||$80|
|Toyota RAV4 Sport 2WD||$1,228||$614||$102|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Kansas minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include safe-driver, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, claim-free, and homeowner. Rates do not factor in garaging location in Emporia which can decrease or increase coverage rates significantly.
Where to set your deductibles
The information below illustrates how choosing a deductible and can change Chevrolet Malibu yearly insurance costs for different age groups. The costs are based on a married male driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, and no other discounts are factored in.
Chevrolet Malibu rates are for example purposes only. To get rates for your specific vehicle, click here.
Why you need auto insurance
Despite the high insurance cost in Emporia, insurance may be mandatory for several reasons.
- The majority of states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In Kansas these limits are 25/50/10 which means you must have $25,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $50,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $10,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you took out a loan on your vehicle, almost every bank will require you to buy full coverage to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totalled. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the bank or lender will purchase a policy for your vehicle at a more expensive rate and require you to fork over the higher premium.
- Auto insurance protects both your assets and your car. It will also cover medical expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, will also pay for a defense attorney if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your policy will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of buying auto insurance are definitely more than the cost, especially when you need to use it. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver is overpaying more than $869 every year so it's very important to do a rate comparison once a year at a minimum to make sure the price is not too high.
Save with these rate reducing discounts
Insurance can cost an arm and a leg, but you can get discounts that you may not even know about. Many of these discounts will be applied automatically at the time of purchase, but some must be specially asked for before being credited. If you do not check that you are getting every discount possible, you could be getting lower rates.
- Save over 55 - Drivers that qualify as senior citizens can get a discount up to 10%.
- Waiver for an Accident - This isn't a discount exactly, but companies like Liberty Mutual, Allstate and State Farm allow you one accident before they charge you more for coverage if you have no claims prior to the accident.
- Club Memberships - Having an affiliation with specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations may earn a discount on your next renewal.
- Auto/Life Discount - Not all insurance companies offer life insurance, but some may give you better car insurance rates if you take out life insurance.
- Telematics Data Discounts - Insureds that choose to allow driving data submission to analyze vehicle usage through the use of a telematics system like Allstate's Drivewise might see lower rates if they have good driving habits.
- Distant College Student Discount - Older children who attend college more than 100 miles from Emporia and don't have a car can receive lower rates.
- No Accidents - Drivers with accident-free driving histories pay much less in comparison to policyholders that have many claims.
- Safety Course Discount - Successfully completing a course in safe driver could possibly earn you a 5% discount depending on where you live.
- Anti-lock Brakes - Vehicles equipped with ABS or steering control have fewer accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
It's important to note that some credits don't apply to your bottom line cost. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like liability and collision coverage. So even though they make it sound like it's possible to get free car insurance, it's just not the way it works.
Car insurance companies that may offer quotes with most of the discounts above possibly include:
If you need lower rates, check with every prospective company which discounts you may be entitled to. All car insurance discounts might not be offered in Emporia. To find car insurance companies who offer online car insurance quotes in Kansas, click here.
Insurance agencies can help
Many drivers would prefer to get advice from a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the benefits of comparing rates online is you may find cheap insurance quotes and still choose a local agent.
After filling out this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is submitted to insurance agents in Emporia who will give you quotes for your business. You won't even need to leave your house since price quotes are sent to the email address you provide. Get lower rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If for some reason you want to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance provider, feel free to go to their quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Deciding on an insurance company requires more thought than just the quoted price. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- Do they have 24-hour customer assistance?
- Is insurance their full-time profession?
- Is there a local claims center in Emporia?
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
If you need to find a reputable insurance agent or broker, there are two different types of agencies that you can select. Emporia agents are either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Exclusive insurance agents can only quote rates from one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, American Family, State Farm and Allstate. They usually cannot compare other company's rates so they really need to provide good service. Exclusive agents are well schooled on their company's products which helps them compete with independent agents. Consumers sometimes choose to use a exclusive agent primarily because of the brand and solid financial strength.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Independent insurance agents are not locked into one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies through many different insurance companies and find you the best rates. If you want to switch companies, your policy is moved internally which is easy for the insured. If you are comparing insurance prices, you will want to get several quotes from a couple of independent agencies to ensure the widest selection of prices. Most have the option of insuring with smaller regional carriers which could offer lower prices.
Which policy gives me the best coverage?
When it comes to choosing proper insurance coverage, there really is no one-size-fits-all type of policy. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
These are some specific questions can aid in determining whether or not you would benefit from an agent's advice.
- Is my ex-spouse still covered by my policy?
- Do I need replacement cost coverage on my vehicle?
- Can I get a multi-policy discount for packaging my home and auto coverage?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- Why am I required to buy high-risk coverage?
- Can I use my car for my catering business?
- Is pet coverage available?
If it's difficult to answer those questions then you might want to talk to an agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form.
One last thing about your coverage
We've covered quite a bit of information on how to find cheaper coverage online. The key concept to understand is the more times you quote, the higher your chance of finding inexpensive Emporia car insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the lowest prices come from a smaller regional carrier.
When trying to cut insurance costs, make sure you don't skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. In many instances, someone dropped liability coverage limits and discovered at claim time that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your goal should be to buy enough coverage at the lowest possible cost while still protecting your assets.
Drivers leave their current company for many reasons like lack of trust in their agent, policy non-renewal, high prices or an unsatisfactory settlement offer. Regardless of your reason, switching companies is actually quite simple.
Much more information about auto insurance in Kansas is located below:
- What is Gap Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Which Company has the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Overland Park, Kansas? (FAQ)
- Winter Driving (Insurance Information Institute)
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)